Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Renewing Philippine Passport in Thailand


On the 23rd of July 2011, I went back to the Philippine Embassy in Bangkok to claim my 4th passport issued by the Philippine government as the 3rd one had expired. I have been given the latest type, the biometric or popularly called e-passport with microchips and maroon in color. From date of application, it took more than a month before I was able to claim it, though a month earlier than the announced estimated time of release. It has not been long time since the Philippine government has been issuing the e-passport, a machine readable copy and so there was a huge backlog that explained the reason for a prolonged time in acquiring a Philippine passport. The Embassy informs the applicants that it would take at least two months after the filing of application. My passport would expire on the 31 January 2012 but I applied for renewal six months before the expiration. I would not be able to use it anyway or be allowed to enter any foreign country except in my own country since one of the international requirement when traveling in another country is for the passport to have at least 6 months validity period. Secondly and the main reason, I had to extend my Non-Immigrant B visa that would expire on the 11th of August 2011.

Weeks before I went to the embassy for the application, I gathered information through the website and asked my friend whom I know had renewed also her passport few months ago on what are the requirements in applying for a new passport. My friend told me that it took her only three weeks waiting time after application. She also recommended a photo studio near the Philippine Embassy where I can have  my passport picture taken. In the application for the renewal of passport that I downloaded in the website indicates that a 4.5 cm x3.5 cm picture with dark blue background should be attached.

When I arrived at the Embassy, before I entered the compound I asked the security guard where I can have my picture. There on the opposite road from a distance to the embassy is a photo studio and so I had my photo taken. It took only few minutes for the picture taking and photo processing and so I proceeded to the consular section and submitted the printed application form which I had filled up days before in my office.

  That day I learned some things:
  1. Picture to be attached in the application form can be of any color or background, size is 4.5 cm x 3.5cm; 
  2. Passport picture shall be taken in the embassy by an embassy personnel; (Funny because I tried hard to make myself beautiful when my picture was taken in the studio but in the embassy, I found my hair in different directions ha ha ha but oh! I am glad because my photo in the passport went out fine. :-) )
  3. The processing fee increased from 2,500 baht to 2,700 baht (approximately 3,780 pesos or 90 USD);
  4. An applicant can request certification that she/he has applied for renewal of passport. The said certification is given for free.; and
  5. As a Filipino citizen it pays to be updated with the latest news on consular services by checking the Consular Section page.
At the same time I took the opportunity to officially inform the Philippine government that I am here in Thailand by registering myself in the Embassy. I got an ID in return. I downloaded the form in the website but the personnel in the counter gave me another form. So better, just request at the embassy the form if you want to register yourself and get an ID rather than downloading in the website. But if you are a Filipino, it is but wise to register. And oh by the way, you need to submit 1x1 picture for the ID.

As I checked the website now, the information contained are more comprehensive and complete, a sign that it is being updated regularly. There is no need then to go to the Embassy just to inquire. Calling the Consular Office would make one feel welcome because they are accommodating in answering queries. Overall, I can say they are efficient in their services. Mabuhay!

Update: For the latest information (year 2016), kindly refer to this blog . 

23 comments:

  1. Didn't you know that this information is the only one available in the worldwide net? Kudos! More power to your mind power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean ... because the Philippine Embassy website (the one you linked) seems to be found nowhere. Thanks, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to read my page, post comments and for the information, too. The Philippine Embassy link has been updated. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. errr... http://www.philembassy-bangkok.net/ or the philippine embassy website is down, the domain is for sale!!! as of Arpil 4, 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briant. Thank you for you reading. The website link has been updated already as I had stated in my previous comment. I don't know why you still get the old address but it should be www.bangkokpe.com. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I just tried to open www.bangkokpe.com. now and it isn't helpful... I clicked on the "RENEWAL OF PASSPORT" link but it only led me to this http://www.thaimeta.com/web?ts=go&q=renewing+passport... errrr....

      Delete
    3. That website address is the old one. I don't know why the link did not open the right page but I've tried all the links in this blog and it worked fine for me as I've updated and tested them before posting. I appreciate your feedback. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Good afternoon Ma'am/sir; I just wanna ask about renewal of my passport which is about to expire nextyear june 2017..and I want to renew it using the surname of my husband. Do I need to renew it with 6 months validity? What else do I need for that renewal & changing my surname?im a Filipino too residing at chonburi Thailand..your response much appreciated..thank you very much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Your question came as a great coincidence as I have been checking the website of the Philippine Embassy today. I would renew my passport tomorrow. Ideally, passport should be renewed 6 months before the expiry date most specially if the holder have plans to travel. The international law requires that a traveler's passport must have at least 6 months validity. To change your surname, submission of the original marriage contract in addition to the basic requirements in renewing the passport is required. Please take note, you have the option to maintain your maiden name in the passport after marriage. The embassy have more requirements when married to a Thai or foreigner. For practical reasons, it's best you renew your passport when it is near the expiration. For more information, you can check the website http://bangkokpe.dfa.gov.ph/. God bless.

      Delete
    2. thank you so much for your reply,this gives us an idea. I'll check for more information I can get..have a nice day ahead..godbless..

      Delete
  5. Good evening ma'am..one more question please I need to ask;Is it possible nor allowed to apply for a thicker one passport?which is 50 pages instead of 25 pages? Because we do usually travel etc..thank you so much for your reply..godbless..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Philippine passports have 44 pages and what I know there is no option for this. I went through a posted announcement in the embassy about extension but I think it is about the validity. Whatever it can be, the announcement states the end of the availability. I suggest you raise your concern to the consulate personnel when you go to the embassy. God bless too. :-)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the information. It's of great help to us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thank you for taking time to drop a message. There has been changes in the process and please refer to this blog for the latest information http://explorationthailand.blogspot.com/2016/02/2016-renewing-philippine-passport.html . Cheers!

      Delete
  7. Hi,

    Do you know if Filipinos in Tourist Visa can renew passports in Thailand?
    Thanks. We plan to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days and we might need to renew my husband's passport while there since we plan to backpack across southeast asia.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I believe you can renew your passport in Philippine Embassy in Bangkok since you only have to present your passport, fill-up an application form and pay the renewal fee. However, consider other things such as the renewal fee cost is almost 3x the cost in the Philippines, it may take 4 to 6 weeks after application to receive the new passport and renewal of passport can be done earlier if needed. If you start your travel from the Philippines, could be best to renew the passport there. Please check on the latest blog I've written about renewing the passport. You can find the link at the end of this blog. Hope this information helped. Cheers!

      Delete
  8. Hi.. im working here in thaialnd tommorow ill go to phil embassy.. to renew my passportand get extention... then i have to go out same day to singapore to get non immigrant B
    ...
    Question is. Do i get my extended passport the same day so i could fly in the afternoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Archie. Sorry I have no idea if you can get same day the extension of passport as I've never had the need to do it for myself. I think if they do it in the Consular Office in Bangkok then it can be done fast. I tried to check in the website but can't be accessed now. Anyway, here is the announcement (http://explorationthailand.blogspot.com/2016/05/extension-of-philippine-passports.html) I've seen posted in the board the last time I went there. Hope it helps. Cheers!

      Delete
  9. Hi I want to ask if I can possible to change my last name and birthday when I renew my passport ?
    I want use my real birthday and correct spell of my last name
    Hope you help me thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. To be honest, changing the spelling of your last name and birthday may be difficult.However, if there is a will there can be a way to attain the will. If the government agency would allow the corrections, for sure you would be required to present a legal document to prove that you are the same person. Best is to contact the nearest DFA or Philippine Embassy months before you renew your passport. Cheers!

      Delete
  10. Many thanks for your reply very appreciated !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,I am planning to renew my passport this month. My current passport will expire on April 2017. Do you think the embassy would allow me to renew my passport even it's too early from the expiration date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of some who renewed their passport not because it's expiring soon but to have clean pages, meaning no exit-entry stamps. The issuance of a new passport will mean cancellation of the old one. Besides, I guess you have a valid reason for renewing passport that early. Cheers!

      Delete