Monday, September 5, 2011

Filipino Electrical Engineers in Bangkok


     On the 4th of September 2011, there were two first time for me with my history of stay in Bangkok, Thailand: meeting fellow Filipino Electrical Engineers working in Bangkok and dining at a Filipino Restaurant. I write here about the meeting of Filipino EEs and in another page about the New Mabuhay Restaurant.
      We were five electrical engineers (Ayi, Jun, Francis, Omar and me) in the meeting and two of which came with their partners. I was the only lady among the engineers but it was a normal occurrence for me as there are only few lady electrical engineers in general and more so in a foreign land. The meeting was initiated by Engr. Ariel Luces, who has been working in a foreign multinational contracting company in Bangkok as a EE/ME Manager. How he met the other engineers? I presume through business transactions.
      How Ariel and I met may make one say "small world" just like I had exclaimed when I knew that we had some sort of 'connections' back home. It went this way: I met his wife in an online community for Filipinos in Thailand. It started with the desire to find fellow Bicolanos in Thailand. As his wife and me exchanged information, I had learned that her husband graduated in the same university where I had taken my BSEE (Bachelor of Electrical Engineering) and that he was an instructor in the same university. When Ariel left the university to work here in Bangkok, his teaching loads were passed on to me. Aside from having familiar faces, we never had any chance to talk to each other while in our hometown and while in the university as students. And now here in Bangkok we are friends.
         The time agreed to meet was at 2 in the afternoon at the Food Center of Central World Plaza but I came about 1 hour late as I took bus 40 which goes through the traffic loaded street of Sukhumvit. Nevertheless, it did not matter to them I guess because everyone were busy talking to each other while I was on my way. 
      In the evening, we walked through the sidewalk and proceeded to New Mabuhay Restaurant in Pratunam. We had Filipino foods (bulalo, crispy pata and my favorite chopsuey) and drinks (San Miguel beer and Del Monte juices). We parted ways at about 9 in the evening. It was a great time indeed meeting colleagues in the same profession.
         However, it is not the last meeting but rather the first as the group agreed to meet at least once a month. The second meeting is set tentatively on October 2, 2011. We hope more Filipino electrical engineers or even technicians can join us. If you know someone, kindly refer us. We look forward to expanding the network of EE here in Thailand.                

4 comments:

  1. Pwede po bang magtanong Kung my alam kang opening jobs for electrical engineer Jan sa Thailand,,gusto ko kasing mag work Jan,,kapapasa ko Lang po ng board and nagwork po ngaun sa isang electrical contractor n company,,sana po matulungan nyo ako,,thanks po,,:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Thank you for posting your inquiry. As what I know it is not easy to find a job here on engineering not unless madami na job experiences ang isang applicant. Most of those engineers who are working here, those I know, had been working in other countries before they worked here. I suggest gain more experience first in the field of engineering, continuously upgrade yourself and while doing so apply in recruitment agencies and check on internet job sites. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm ok po sundin ko po ung advice nyo,,mga two years po na experience sapat n po kaya un??nd nmn po sa ngmmdli ako n mka abroad pero actually po gusto ko lng po tlga maka stay sa Thailand,,khit nga po maliit ang sahod bsta related sa course ko ku2nin ko p din po,,:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding a job is not just based on the years of experience but there are other factors to consider. If you ask those who are working here, each have their own story to tell on how they got a job here. If the ASEAN Economic Community be implemented as planned on 2015 (check this site http://www.asean.org/communities/asean-economic-community) the opportunities for Asians who want to work in another Asian countries would be wider and easier. Then you can take the chance. Don't settle for being underpaid just to have a job here. Doing so brings some not so good effects to the entire Filipino working community not only you. .

    ReplyDelete